Have you ever heard of a tandem kayak? If you are not, you are in the right place. And even if you did hear it, it won’t hurt to read some more information and anecdotes about this type of kayak. Sometimes they are jokingly called divorce kayaks, and why this is- you will find out below.
Table of Contents
- What Is Tandem Kayak?
- What Does It Take to Manage a Tandem Kayak Most Effectively?
- How to Turn a Tandem Kayak?
- Types of a Tandem Kayak
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
What Is Tandem Kayak?
A tandem kayak is a kayak whose length is 18 to 24 feet. You can choose the length of the kayak that suits you. Its basic difference from a regular kayak is more than obvious. It can accommodate two people. Therefore, it is ideal for couples, families, but even for those who enjoy kayaking with their pet, a dog, for example.
This type of kayak is more stable than a single kayak because it is wider than a single. If one gets tired or just doesn’t want to paddle, he doesn’t even have to paddle. He can easily enjoy the view of the landscape. However, if you want to quickly get to a certain point it will be much faster and better achieved if both paddles.
What Does It Take to Manage a Tandem Kayak Most Effectively?
Paddle in unison! This will probably be difficult for many at first, but once you master it, you will be able to easily avoid paddle collisions. If one of you in a kayak is more physically formidable, that is stronger, let him sit in the back.
The weaker of the two of you need to sit forward and dictate the tempo of paddling. Of course, if the person in front gets tired, he/she will be able to rest while the person behind continues to paddle and control the direction of the kayak.
How to Turn a Tandem Kayak?
Better equipped kayaks have a rudder that will make it easier for you to maintain the right course and some easier course corrections. However, if you want to completely change direction and turn your kayak, you will need to work together and work hard.
The most ideal situation will be obtained if the one sitting in front moves forward on one side, while the one sitting in the back performs a reverse swing on the opposite side of the kayak. Using this technique you can turn the kayak surprisingly easily, even while at stationary.
If you are in doubt whether this activity is right for you, let me help you and tell you what I think are the advantages and disadvantages of tandem kayaking.
Also Read: Best Kayak for Kids – Top Reviews & Buying Guides
The Pros of Using a Tandem Kayak
- A Great Opportunity to Get Together and Bond: This is a great opportunity to bond with loved ones. With all the stress and hectic work schedules, many of us don’t have the chance to devote enough time to our loved ones.
- Great for Introducing Newcomers: People who are rowing for the first time will be more comfortable if they are rowing with someone else. It provides a certain sense of security and you certainly don’t have to worry that you will be bored while doing so.
- More Packing Space: A tandem kayak is much more practical than a regular kayak, especially if you are going camping. It has more storage space for gear and a better layout.
- It Saves Space: If you are a true fan of this sport and travel often to enjoy this sport, you know that it is not a skate that you can put in the trunk. Takes a lot of space to store a tandem kayak in the house and transport it successfully. However, it is certainly easier to store one than two kayaks, which would be the case if you owned two classic kayaks instead of one tandem kayak.
The Cons of Using a Tandem Kayak
Before you decide to buy this kayak, it is necessary to consider the disadvantages.
- They are very heavy: The average weight of this kayak is 75 to 100 kilograms, so it takes two people to lift and carry it. Lower quality models are lighter.
- The “Divorce Kayak”: I mentioned this anecdote at the very beginning of the text. They say that a divorce kayak should be the new name of this kayak. The reason for this is that some couples end this adventure more with arguing than with paddling.
- Kayaking is not a Small Investment: Some people find it cheaper to get one tandem kayak instead of two classic kayaks. However, this is not always true. A quality tandem kayak has a rudder, which drastically increases the price of the kayak. A tandem kayak with a rudder is more expensive than even two ordinary kayaks.
- Less Freedom: If you ask me, I do not advise you to use a tandem kayak on your own and without anyone else’s help. It is so-called for a reason. Managing a tandem kayak on your own, as well as moving and changing direction is almost impossible to do alone. That is why it is said that this kayak gives less freedom than the others. If you do not have someone eager to go with you, you will not even be able to go.
- It is not Easy to Master the Management of this Kayak: If you are a beginner and want to learn how to operate a kayak, this is not an ideal choice for your first kayak. This type of kayak requires practice and skill.
Types of a Tandem Kayak
To avoid confusion when buying a tandem kayak, you need to know what types there are.
Tandem Fishing Kayak
This type of kayak is made for fishing purposes. The characteristic of this kayak is that it can accommodate as many as three people on its deck. In addition to enough space for three people, it also has a cargo area. You will be able to place your fishing rod safely on the rod holder. This type of kayak is most often made of lightweight plastic.
Tandem Ocean Kayak
This kayak is made for ocean sailing purposes. It is ideal for anyone who wants to enjoy dolphin sightseeing. There is quite a space for a couple with a child or a couple with a pet. Your family and you will have the opportunity to enjoy this stable and beautiful kayak while sailing the ocean.
Tandem Touring Kayak
If you like to spend a little more time kayaking, a classic kayak will probably not satisfy you. However, this type of kayak is ideal for you if this is the situation.
It is made of very high-quality materials and even has a part that is ideal for storing items and clothes that you want to stay dry, even if, for example, it starts to rain. It would be best to choose a kayak with a V-shaped hull for a longer stay on the water, in order to more easily maintain the stability of the kayak and prevent the kayak from tipping over.
Tandem Sit-On-Top Kayak
This hollow shaped kayak is great if you want a feeling of full stability and security. This type of kayak is certainly the easiest to board and disembark on, but it has many other disadvantages that are not negligible. An example of this is that you will very easily succumb to torrid waves and bad weather in general.
Also Read: Kayak vs Canoe – Excellent Guides for Beginners
Tandem Inflatable Kayak
Let’s face reality. We don’t all have enough space in our houses and apartments to store kayaks. However, this problem can solved by purchasing an inflatable kayak. Although we have now solved the problem with storage, there is a problem of time, because it is necessary to inflate and deflate it after each use, but everything has its advantages and disadvantages.
The variation in the price of this type of kayak is large, but not without reason. If you get one of the models that cost less than $500, you will be able to sail on calm and flat waters. If you want a slightly better and more stable kayak, you need to set aside a slightly larger amount, even over 2000 dollars. Such kayaks are ideal for scuba diving and sailing in slightly rougher waters.
If you are a team player and want to take some time to enjoy nature with your friend, family, or other important people in your life, this form of sport is ideal for you. You will be able to get closer and talk like you probably haven’t in a long time. The global pandemic surprised us all and made us sit in our houses, which is not typical for people as social beings.
So, if you are healthy and willing to enjoy a little socializing with the partial practice of social distance, get a tandem kayaks. In the text you read above, you learned which models and types of tandem kayaks are most ideal for certain occasions and conditions. So based on that, choose the one that suits you best and indulge in the beauties of nature.