Anyone that has purchased a boat understands that it can be a huge investment. They can cost upwards of 30, 50, or 75 thousand dollars. Just as you would with any investment of this size, you should protect your boat using one of the best boat covers in the market. Depending on the cost of your boat, a boat covers could be considered an accessory or a necessity.
However by providing the proper care and service you can get as many years of use as possible from your boat. Ultimately, the more expensive the boat is the more vital it is to protect your investment. A boat cover becomes a necessity. Finding the best boat covers for your boat is extremely important – a boat cover that fits properly provides more protection for your boat.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Boat Covers in 2022
- Top 10 Best Boat Covers Review in 2022
- 1. MSC Heavy Duty Trailerable Boat Cover
- 2. iCover Waterproof Boat Cover
- 3. Seamander Tri-hull Fishing Boat Cover
- 4. Anglink Waterproof Boat Cover
- 5. Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover
- 6. Komo V-hull Trailerable Boat Cover
- 7. Vortex Heavy-Duty Vhull Boat Cover
- 8. VORTEX Tan/Beige Ultra 3 Pontoon
- 9. EmpireCovers Triton Boat Cover
- 10. labworkauto Heavy-Duty Boat Cover
- Why You Need a Boat Cover
- Caring for Your Boat Cover
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Boat Covers in 2022
|MSC Trailerable Boat Cover||
|iCOVER Trailerable Boat Cover||
|Seamander Trailerable Boat Cover||
|Anglink Waterproof Boat Cover||
|Classic Accessories Boat Cover||
|Komo V-hull Boat Cover||
|Vortex Vhull Boat Cover||
|VORTEXTAN Beige Ultra 3 Pontoon||
|EmpireCovers Triton Boat Cover||
|labworkauto Heavy-Duty Boat Cover||
Top 10 Best Boat Covers Review in 2022
1. MSC Heavy Duty Trailerable Boat Cover
Founded in 1940 and recognized as “the original car cover company”, Budge Industries provides a wide array of innovative products. These are designed to protect cars, trucks, RVs, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, boats, and much more.
Headquartered in Lansdale, Pennsylvania, one of their main goals is to provide innovative and affordable products to protect your investments. To protect your hard top or T-top boat, the Budge 600 Denier Boat Cover has all the features you need.
It can keep your boat protected from the rain, snow, sun, bugs, and small animals. Designed for long-term storage, mooring, and trailering, the Budge boat cover is equipped with a heavy shock cord hem and is one of the best custom boat covers.
- UV-treated for maximum heat and sun protection
- 100% waterproof to protect from heavy rain and/or snow
- Equipped with sewn-in straps for more durability
- Pocket vents make the material breathable to defend against mold and mildew
- Taped seams for additional moisture protection
- No hole for antennae
2. iCover Waterproof Boat Cover
This is a durable nylon boat cover that comes with several straps that you can use in order to secure the cover on the boat. The material used in this boat cover is patented as it is a mix of nylon and marine grade polyester material.
Customers who have purchased this boat cover reported that it is very durable, tear-proof, does not fade and is resistant to strong stretching. Moreover, the straps come with elastic cord around the hemline hence you can be confident and secure and snug fit.
Plus customers have reported that it is very easy to install and release thanks to the buckles. Potential customers can choose from a great variety of colors as well as or six different sizes. Hence, you can be confident that you will find just right boat cover for your marine boat. Overall this boat cover will be great for trailing, storage and mooring.
- Great quality
- Made in the United States
- 30-day warranty
- Patented material
- Available in several sizes and colors
- Lack of customer support
3. Seamander Tri-hull Fishing Boat Cover
Here is a great boat cover that comes with a 2-year warranty period right from the manufacturer. Additionally, customers can choose from over 8 different colors as well as 11 sizes. Which is why you can be sure that you will find just the right marine cover for your boat, kayak or even small motor yacht.
Moreover, the cover is made with a strong nylon material that has been put together with interlocking double stitches. Thus, lots of customers who have purchased this boat cover have reported that it is virtually indestructible. In short, it is very strong and tear proof.
Apart from the boat cover, the packaging box also contains instruction booklet on how to properly use and clean the nylon cover. Furthermore, it also tells you how to correctly set up and use the integrated strapping system. This is to ensure that your boat always stays covered and protected from rain, snow and strong winds. However, the manufacturer does not offer a customer support or money back period.
- 2-year warranty from manufacturer
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Comes with strapping system and instruction booklet in the packaging box
- Easy to clean
- Made in China
- Available only in in small to medium sizes
Lastly we have the Anglink boat cover that is made for all kinds of motor boats including kayaks. This boat cover is one of the strongest currently on the market that you can purchase for an affordable price from a trusted manufacturer. They offer good customer support as well as two year warranty period.
Sadly it is available only in dark black color and some of the customers have reported that it tends to fade over time. In fact, it is a normal occurrence under the effect of direct sunlight however you could always drape it in additional layer of nylon cover that will also serve as a bonus protective layer from rain and snow.
Other than the fading, customer seem to love it as it also comes with a storage case. As a result, when the boat cover will not be in use you can stow it away. Additionally, it is available in over 8 different sizes ranging from S for kayaks to XXL for motor boats.
- Trustable manufacturer
- Warranty period
- Customer support
- High quality
- Available in 1 color only
- Black color tend to fade under the direct sunlight
5. Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover
A bass boat is a boat designed primarily for bass fishing. These boats are most often used in freshwater and sometimes have two sources of power – an outboard motor with enough power to quickly move from place to place and a trolling motor for moving slowly while fishing.
As with any boat, you want to protect your investment in between fishing trips. One of the best bass boat covers on the market is the Classic Accessories DryGuard Heavy-Duty Waterproof best boat covers. Constructed from Marine-grade Dryguard fabric, this cover is waterproof and tear-resistant. Great for trailering, mooring, and boat storage.
- DryGuard fabric is 100% waterproof
- Coated from UV protection and mildew resistance
- Stitched seams are reinforced with tape to block water from seeping through stitches
- Features dual rear air vents with built-in stiffeners to reduce wind pressure
- Adjustable tie-down straps with quick-release buckles
- Long exposure to extreme sun decreases the life of the product
6. Komo V-hull Trailerable Boat Cover
The Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover for 12-14’ boats is one of the best boat covers for small boats available. The tough polyester Stellex fabric is specifically designed for durability, weather protection, and does not shrink when used for long-term storage.
Founded in 1983 in a small basement in Seattle, Classic Accessories began by providing seat belt covers, steering wheel covers, and fuzzy dice. They soon ventured to larger covers, such as frill covers, car covers, and boat covers.
For over 30 years, Classic Accessories has continued to add to their line of quality covers. These are designed to protect your investments as well as show your style. Today, they are one of the leading companies in the protective cover industry, offering products that are durable, convenient, and practical for your busy lifestyle.
- Stellex fabric offers protection from water, UV rays, and mildew
- Lightweight but tough so it is easy to put on and easy to take off
- Includes convenient storage bag to protect the cover from the elements when not in use
- Includes tie-down straps for trailering
- Features quick-release buckles for convenience
- Some consumers state the covers fit small
7. Vortex Heavy-Duty Vhull Boat Cover
The Vortex Heavy-Duty Vhull Boat Cover is ideal for both mooring or trailering your boat. This boat cover is made from marine-grade polyester, which is thick enough to provide the utmost protection to your boat.
This boat cover’s polyester material is also double-coated with polyurethane for optimum protection and durability. In addition to that, the material is also treated to resist mildew and UV.
Another feature that you would surely appreciate about this boat cover is its waterproof functionality. It is also designed to keep moisture off and avoid the formation of mold and mildew inside. Lastly, this boat cover comes with hold-down straps and a handy storage bag for the utmost convenience.
- Made with thick polyester material.
- Double coated with polyurethane.
- Resists mildew and UV.
- Waterproof and repels moisture.
- Comes with hold-down straps and a storage bag.
- It is not the most durable boat cover on the market
8. VORTEX Tan/Beige Ultra 3 Pontoon
If you own or are considering purchasing a pontoon boat, one of the most important accessories is the cover. Not only will you need to protect the pontoon boat itself when it is in storage, but the furniture and other accessories should be protected. Thus, the best pontoon boat cover should be strong, durable, and waterproof.
One of the best choices is the Vortex Ultra 3 Pontoon/Deck Boat Cover. The Ultra 3 is designed for mooring, long-term storage, and trailering to provide the ultimate in utility and protection for your pontoon boat. It is also durable and fits snugly enough to withstand heavy wind, rain and snow.
- Includes 12 straps to securely fasten your pontoon boat for travel
- 2 coats of polyurethane on the downside
- UV and mildew resistant
- 100% waterproof
- Elastic band around the bottom for a semi-custom fit
- The cover fades after exposure to the sun
9. EmpireCovers Triton Boat Cover
If you are looking for a dependable boat cover to safeguard your boat while trailering or storing, then you should check out the EmpireCovers Triton Boat Cover. EmpireCovers is well-renowned for producing top-quality boat covers that are durable and long-lasting.
The Triton boat cover is not an exemption when talking about EmpireCovers’ best products. This boat cover is made from 600-Denier polyester material, robust and sturdy enough to withstand the wear and tear of long-term outdoor use.
In addition to that, this boat cover is also a hundred percent waterproof. The Triton boat cover is also designed to be breathable to allow airflow and prevent mold and mildew. For your convenience, this boat cover already comes with a durable shock cord that provides a snug fit to your boat.
- 100% waterproof boat cover.
- Durable and dependable quality.
- Comes with a shock cord for a snug fit.
- The strap is not very durable.
10. labworkauto Heavy-Duty Boat Cover
Protect your boat with the labworkauto Waterproof Heavy-Duty Boat Cover. This premium-quality boat cover delivers all features you would want your boat cover to have. It is durable and waterproof, which makes it dependable for long-standing use.
In addition to that, this boat cover is also designed for long-term storage, travel, and mooring. The labworkauto Waterproof Heavy-Duty Boat Cover is made from marine-grade polyester material with two layers of PU Coating for optimum protection.
It is also treated to repel mildew, mold, and UV for improved longevity. Furthermore, this boat cover delivers optimum protection against dirt, pollution, rain, and sun all year round on land or water. Thus, whether you are trailering or storing your boat, this boat cover is something you can depend on.
- Waterproof and durable.
- Made from marine-grade polyester material.
- Repels mildew, mold, and UV.
- Delivers maximum protection all year round.
- The material is not thick.
Why You Need a Boat Cover
A properly fitted boat cover can increase the longevity of your boat by as much as 30%. A good boat cover has many advantages and protects your investment – especially if you must store your boat for the winter.
Some of the Advantages of a Boat Cover Include
- Protects your boat from damage caused by dust and debris
- Repels water and keeps moisture away
- Helps prevent mold buildup
- Protects paint from damaging UV rays – prevents fading and cracking
- Keeps animals from climbing into the boat
- Discourages theft
- You will spend less time cleaning and preparing your boat for launch
For more expensive boats, an owner may consider purchasing a custom boat cover. The more you invest in your boat, the more you might invest in protecting your boat. Thus, if you purchase the right size universal best boat covers, you can also adequately protect your investment.
Important Features of a Boat Cover
Boat covers have many features. When reviewing this list of the best boat covers, we will point out some of the key features that will provide the most protection for your boat. Below of some of the features you should be aware of in your search for a boat cover.
- Reinforced seams and corners – these areas are stretched, pulled, and experience all sorts of abuse. Reinforced seams and corners resist rips, tears, and literally coming apart at the seams.
- Water Resistant – one of the most important features of a boat cover is water resistance – otherwise, what’s the point?
- UV resistance – this protects the paint from fading and cracking due to being exposed to the sun’s bright rays.
- Mildew resistance – this is important so that water that sits on the cover does not begin to produce mold that could get inside the cover
- Elastic bow strap – this makes the cover fit securely and ensures the rest of the cover fits properly.
- Tie-down straps – this holds your cover securely in place against wind so that your boat is protected.
- Trailerable – a trailerable cover has special straps that keep the cover on tightly while you are driving.
- Weight – a lightweight cover is easier to put on, take off, and fold for storage.
- Material – this is one of the key features of your boat cover. The three main fabrics are polyester, poly-cotton blend, and polyester canvas. The more polyester the cover has, the better it is.
- Colors – color is a personal preference and boat covers are available in many choices. Remember that black tends to fade when left under direct sunlight and assume an ungainly look.
A Few Tips for Storing Your Boat Outdoors
- Position boat and trailer with the bow slightly higher so water will drain off the cover
- Remove drain plug
- Place boat cover on properly so that it fits tightly
- Spray lubricants on trailer that repel water and dirt
- Place your boat in the driveway with the tongue facing your house to help prevent theft
- Remove tires and store inside to protect them from the sun – if the tires cannot be removed, cover with tire covers
- Do not park underneath trees to protect your boat from sap and falling limbs
Fitting Your Boat for a Cover
If you choose a universal cover rather than the more expensive custom covers, the most important aspect is finding the cover that fits your boat snugly. To find the right boat cover, you need to know the measurements of your boat. You will need two measurements – length and width.
To get the length of your boat, you should measure from the bow tip to the farthest point aft. Measure in a flat, straight line. You won’t need to measure up and over the windshield. To get the width of your boat, you will measure across the widest part of the boat. On some boats, this is the windshield area. On others, the widest point is the transom. Again, measure in a flat, straight line.
The final consideration is the hull style. There are several different types of hulls, including V-hull, pro bass, center console, and johnboat. Your two measurements and the hull style should allow you to pick the perfect cover for your boat.
Caring for Your Boat Cover
Once you have purchased and used your boat cover, it is just as vital to care for it. It goes with saying – the better you care for your boat cover, the longer it lasts. Below are some tips to help you make your boat cover last longer.
- While in long-term storage, use a support system to allow rain and melted snow to run off the cover rather than pooling on the cover
- If your boat is stored near you, periodically check for leaves or sticks that may cling to the material
- Do not use bungee cords to strap down your cover
- Always use heavy-duty tie-down straps
- Add padding to trolling motors, depth finders, and windshields to avoid accidental tears
- Wash boat cover with lukewarm water and a mild, natural soap after use. Rinse thoroughly.
- Allow cover to air dry completely before folding and placing in storage bag.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What Is the Difference Between Water-Repellent and Waterproof Boat Covers?
A: Waterproof boat covers are typically made from plastic or rubberized synthetic resins that are non-breathable. Thus, they are easily subjected to tearing or cracking in very hot or very cold climate conditions. However, waterproof covers offer moisture resistance, just as its name suggests. On the other hand, water-repellant covers also offer moisture resistance but provide exceptional breathability, essential for marine products.
Q: Is a Boat Cover Necessary?
A: Investing in a good-quality boat cover offers several benefits to your boat, such as the ones listed below:
- Prevents dents and scratches.
- Prevents surfaces from cracking and color fading.
- Save money on repairs.
- Keeps the boat dust and debris-free.
- Repels water and moisture.
- Prevents mold.
- Keeps animals and insects out when the boat is unused.
- Less cleaning time before launching.
- Longer boat life and higher resale value.
Q: Should I Cover My Boat Very Tightly?
A: Although several boat owners swear by covering boats as tightly as possible, it is a huge misconception. Protecting your boat very tightly and leaving no room for air may result in trapped moisture developing mold. You may also see mushrooms inside. It would be best if you covered your boat into a snuggly fit, but you also want to make sure that there is sufficient room for air circulation.
Q: Which Is Better: Custom or Universal Boat Covers?
A: Although universal boat covers may fit your boat, not all of them are snuggly enough to provide your boat with sufficient coverage and protection. Thus, custom covers are better options.
Also Read: Kayak vs Canoe – Which Is the Better Option
No matter the cost of your boat – whether it’s a few hundred dollars or a few thousand – you want to protect your investment. If for no other reason, do it because you need it ready when you are ready to fish.
Fishing is not simply a sport – fishing is a lifestyle. One of the best ways to protect this investment is to purchase the best boat cover available. Hopefully, you will find the perfect fit for your boat and your lifestyle from the above covers. Happy Boating!