If you’re at least as motivated as me, you might be looking for the best boat trailer tires to count on. I’ve tried countless tires over the years. Some were exemplary while others failed within a year. Most importantly, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the most affordable boat trailer tires.
When it comes to the overall responsibility of choosing the right tires, you will need to do some research. If you don’t have time for research, rest assured I’ve done it for you. Here are my recommendations with their pros and cons.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Boat Trailer Tires in 2022
- Top 10 Best Boat Trailer Tire Reviews in 2022
- 1. Wheels Express Inc Trailer Wheel
- 2. Freestar M-108+ Trailer Radial Tire
- 3. WE 14-2B Trailer Wheel
- 4. Trailer King ST Radial Trailer Tire
- 5. Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire
- 6. Wheels Express Inc Mod Trailer Wheel
- 7. eCustomRim 2-Pack Trailer Tires
- 8. eCustomRim Boat Trailer Tire
- 9. Free Country Premium Trailer Tires
- 10. Free Country Premium Trailer Tires by Grand Ride
- How to Choose the Best Boat Trailer Tires Without Any Help
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Boat Trailer Tires in 2022
|Wheels Express Inc Trailer Wheel||
|Freestar M-108+ Boat Radial Tire||
|WE 14-2B Trailer Wheel||
|Trailer King ST Radial Trailer Tire||
|Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire||
|Wheels Express Inc Mod Trailer Wheel||
|eCustomRim 2-Pack Trailer Tire||
|eCustomRim Trailer Tire||
|Free Country Trailer Tires||
|Free Country Trailer Tires by Grand Ride||
Top 10 Best Boat Trailer Tire Reviews in 2022
All of the following boat trailer tires can be delivered to your door. Most importantly, their performance exceeds their price and they can be used on various types of boat trailers.
1. Wheels Express Inc Trailer Wheel
If you’re looking for a simple tire with an included rim to spare you from headaches and extra shopping sessions, this can be a good choice. Wheels Express Inc created this practical tired with a rim so that the boat trailer is up and running quicker.
Those who’ve been looking Continental or Sun Tracker Trailers might have already seen this tire and rim combination in action. Although, I saw it a couple of times on Big Tex trailers as well as on FastTrac from Wells Cargo trailers.
- Stable mounts based on a 5-lug bolt configuration
- Popular tire size of 205/75D15
- The load capacity is high and practical sitting at around 1820lbs
- Maximum 50PSI pressure is suitable for traveling at high speeds
- Its price is suitable for someone on a budget
- The tire can be used as a spare
- The white included rim doesn’t look too bad
- Rims may not match when ordering pairs
- The tire and the rim can be delivered separately
- Some users mention the sidewalls need better reinforcement
Also Read: Best Kayak Trailer – Reviews and Buying Guide
2. Freestar M-108+ Trailer Radial Tire
This tire has an interesting tread design. It offers good traction in the spring and summer seasons. This is mainly due to its solid traction even on wet roads. With a C load capacity, it works on most trailers. The Ranger or the River Pro come to mind here. Once, I saw it on Carry-On trailers, so it is as solid as expected.
I wanted to know what others thought about it as I was intrigued. It turns out the tire is stable in corners. Anyone traveling with a boat trailer knows just how important this is. As soon as it gets off the highway, it shows its stability benefits.
- Supportive at 1820lbs maximum weight capacity
- Fairly priced for a C-range load tire
- Reduces bounce on the road
- Offers stability in corners
- Some of these tires proved stable even without balancing
- A bit better after thousands of miles than other affordable tires
- It doesn’t come with a rim
- The tire needs a valve (sold separately)
- It needs to be balanced for even wear
3. WE 14-2B Trailer Wheel
I bought a fake tire a few years back and I only noticed this when it started to fall apart. But the WE 14-2B tire has an easy-to-read identification number. This easily allows users to check their authenticity.
Who knew I could get an authentic design at a similar price with my fake? This tire also comes with a white rim. A few other boat trailer tires reviews mention these rims are of good quality.
If you have headaches just thinking about where to buy a matching rim for your new tires, this design can work. A valve is also included in the kit. Practically, it only needs air and balancing before you take it out on the road. This is why the design is among the best boat trailer tires for convenience and ease of installation.
- It has a rim and it saves time and money
- Suitable for traveling locally
- The tire already comes inflated
- Shipping is fast as the tire arrives in a couple of days
- Great value when purchased in a 4-wheel axle boat trailer tandem
- Not the best performance at highway speeds
- When purchased in pairs, tires may come from different manufacturers
4. Trailer King ST Radial Trailer Tire
This 225/75R15 is an option when seeking a durable tire. Using the same tire for a few years is what most boat trailer owners look for. This is why the Trailer King tire has been made for this purpose. It handles heat dissipation a bit better than other tires. This is why you may rely on it on those long highway drives.
But the tire also comes with an enhanced shoulder design. Even wear comes to mind. It is why it can be compared to a few premium brands even if it’s not priced in the same category. The stability it offers when installing in pairs is second to none. If you’ve dealt with considerable trailer sway before, you might be already interested in these tires.
- Handles large weights with segmented molds construction
- Added stability towards the edges
- Its center groove improves stability further
- Tested on dry and wet roads, it handles well
- The tire is suitable for long trips as it handles heat well
- Doesn’t include a rim
- Only D-load rated means it won’t work for the heaviest cargo
Also Read: Best Boat Covers – to Protect Your Boat
5. Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire
What I like the most about this tire are its directional tread patterns. After using all types of inadequate tires, the feel of proper handling while on the road is hard to overlook. But there are other reasons you might consider it yourself. It comes in 15 sizes which means you will find the one which is right for you.
But the brand is also known for offering long-lasting tires. One of my biggest issues with cheap tires is their irregular wear. But this is not the case with the Carlise tire. Even more, it’s hard to match on wet roads. This is due to the inspired tread design which does a good job of releasing water as soon as possible.
- A great deal when buying a 4-pack
- Available in different sizes
- Maximum PSI varies from 50 to 95
- Often praised on wet roads
- Solid performance in hot weather
- No bounce at 70mph
- The tires need to be balanced
- C-load or D-load capacity only
- Needs an air valve
6. Wheels Express Inc Mod Trailer Wheel
This 6-ply boat trailer tire comes complete with a coated rim. If you’re looking for a good deal on 4 tires, this might be the right option. Given 4 tires with rims cost as much as 2 tires without rims when purchased locally, they become a valuable proposal.
The tires also come with included valves. Some use air while others use nitrogen to get the tires going. But the tires work at regular speeds with no issues. I’d still pay attention to traveling at high speeds even with the best boat trailer, as I would with any new pair of tires.
- Valuable proposal with the included rims
- Sustainable performance at 75mph
- C-level load capacity
- The tires are mounted on the rims before shipping
- The rubber is on the softer side
- A few users complained about possible lose lugnuts
7. eCustomRim 2-Pack Trailer Tires
These tires come in packs of 2. It is a value deal proposition from a lesser-known manufacturer. Still, if you want affordable tires with included rims, it might be difficult to look elsewhere. I was curious about their performance at feedback from others. It turns out the tires are reliable in changing the weather.
However, they are a bit more sensitive to higher loads than their 1535lbs capacity. If you manage to stay below this mark, the tires will last for years. The 10-ply design of the tires also means they are better at puncture resistance. Of course, this doesn’t mean you are 100% safe form punctures, but they should offer that extra protection.
- Sold in packs of 2 with included rims
- Maximum pressure is an impressive 90PSI
- Fits most bot trailers
- Reliable on hot summer days
- 10-ply design shipped mounted on the rims
- Hardly any wear after a few months of use
- Not bouncy at speeds of around 75mph
- Made with a distinct aggressive tread
- The sidewalls are not as strong as expected
- Low maximum load capacity
8. eCustomRim Boat Trailer Tire
The tires are known for their higher weight load. I like that you can use them carrying around heavy boats or light boats with extra gear. Simplicity is what characterizes them the most.
If you don’t want to spend too much time looking for the best tires or you don’t even know where to look for rims, it is one of the options to consider. A C-load range means these tires mean business.
Most users don’t even need anything more. Furthermore, I remember seeing them at a show on a Stratos boat trailer. So it must be one of the best boat trailer tires for any other solid boat trailer as well.
- Made with a large load capacity
- The tire can be inflated up to 50PSI
- 5-lug bolt configuration for the right fit
- Included valve for rapid inflation or deflation
- Affordable compared to similar options at local shops
- Slightly better gas mileage given the even wear
- When ordered in pairs, the tires may come with different treads
Also Read: Best Outboard Motor – Top Editor’s Suggestion!
9. Free Country Premium Trailer Tires
A set of 4 new trailer tires might seem like a large investment. But this set is here to prove otherwise. Available in various sizes, the set is an inspired purchase when upgrading worn-out tires. The load capacity is higher than on most others and this means they are made for heavy-duty use.
Rims are not included in the set. However, the high tire pressure capacity might make them a good choice for highway travel. The tread pattern may also recommend them for winters with little snow.
- High load capacity per tire
- 8-ply puncture-resistant design
- Available in various sizes
- Highly affordable even without the rims
- Tread pattern suitable for rain use
- The tires can be inflated with higher air pressure
- The tires flatten when not in use
- Soft rubber requires higher air pressure
10. Free Country Premium Trailer Tires by Grand Ride
I like these tires specifically for their sidewall reinforcement. I hit so many small rocks with my tires which led to bumpy rides that I need such reinforcement on all of my tires.
But this 8-ply design is also suitable for high-speed driving. At 75mph, there’s still no bouncing around. I only wish this set came with 2 included rims, even if I had to pay more.
But given their dry and wet road condition performance, you can’t ask more for such a low price. Those changing the tires themselves also need to purchase 2 air valves to go with the tires. On various blogs, users writing the best trailer tires reviews mention these valves can also be installed at home.
- Made with a Scuff Guar sidewalls reinforcement
- Top performance at 75mph
- Suitable for driving in all types of weather
- Made with a nylon overlay to improve wear
- Sold in affordable sets of 2
- The tires need rims
- Not the best choice when running on low PSI
How to Choose the Best Boat Trailer Tires Without Any Help
If you’re anything like me then you want the best tires for boat trailers at reasonable prices. Savings on the tire allows you to spend more where it matters, such as on boat buying and maintenance. This being said, a lot can be learned simply by understanding how a tire is made. The printed numbers on the tire explain what its best for, according to the manufacturer.
This is How to Read the Numbers on a Tire
Reading the number on the tire is complicated for beginners who simply don’t understand them. But my advice is to go through the following paragraphs to understand boat trailer tires’ codes and abbreviations.
- ST205/75D15 95H M+S
- MAX PRESS 50PSI
- MAX LOAD 1820lbs
- Treat 4 plies 2XXXXX CORD
- DOT MALS ABC036
This is the standard size of a boat trailer tire. ‘ST’ stands for Special Trailer. Alternatives include ‘P’ for Passenger vehicles, ‘LT’ for light truck or ‘T’ for temporary. ‘205’ stands for the nominal width of the tire measured in millimeters. ‘75’ stands for the ratio of height to width.
‘D’ stands for Diagonal or ‘R’ stands for Radial. ‘15’ is the rim code. ‘95’ H is the load index and the speed symbol. ‘M+S’ stands for ‘Severe Snow Conditions’. ‘MAX PRESS 50PSI’ stands for maximum air pressure. ‘Max Load’ indicates the heaviest load supported by the tire.
Treadwear, traction, and temperature grades are printed as they are. ‘Treat 4 plies 2XXXXX CORD’ stands for tire plies composition and materials. ‘DOT MALS ABC036’ stands for the US tire identification number. This is a unique number that can easily filter fakes. Surprisingly, most of the best boat trailer tires reviews don’t indicate what these strings mean.
Also Read: Best Marine Radio – Top Selections By Expert!
Type of Tire
Radial tires and bias tires are the main types of designs available today. One has an inner steel belt while the other uses a cross-hatched nylon with a combination of steel cords.
These tires are made with an inner steel belt at a 90-degree angle from the tread. Some say these tires last longer specifically for this inner steel belt design. If you’re worried about fuel economy especially when traveling longer these are the tires to choose.
These tires are made with a combination of nylon webbing and steel cords. These tires are mainly recommended for their stronger sidewalls.
Tires are now easily found in all sizes. Boat tires are different than car or SUV tires as they may also include rims. This is why these tires are generally sold as a pack and some of them may already come pre-inflated.
The tread pattern is less important for those living in the South were temperatures remain relatively high. Those dealing with winter driving conditions or those who need to travel at higher altitude might need tires with winter tread pattern. All-season tires are a combination of these treads and they’re often considered the best trailer tires for boats from a grip versatility perspective.
Maximum Load Capacity
The maximum load capacity needs to be abided by when it comes to the long-term user. As seen from the tires above, this load capacity varies from 1200lbs to 1800lbs. Tires can sometimes be overloaded which affects their durability from different perspectives. The rubber of the tires might be under too much pressure. This affects the tire’s structural integrity even without any visible signs.
Other types of damage as a result of overloads include irregular wear. This affects fuel consumption, braking efficiency, and general driving safety. If you’re asking yourself how to choose boat trailer tires, you first need to look at load capacity. Overloading tires can also lead to structural damage to the inner steel belt. In many cases, large overloads even lead to exploding tires. All tires have different load capacity and users need to check the tires before making a purchase.
Maximum Air Pressure
Measured in PSI, maximum air pressure is also different from the tire to tire. PSI levels are printed directly on the tire. From time to time, tire air pressure needs to be checked. Changing seasons, temperature and humidity changes or physical shocks are just a few instances where tire pressure needs to be change and air added to the tires. Digital or analog air pressure gauges can help the user check the PSI level.
Apart from what the tire manufacturer recommends, the boat trailer manufacturer might also recommend a certain air pressure. This means boat owners need to check both. A friend of mine purchased his first pair of boat trailer tires and he asked me how long do boat trailer tires last? I’ve replied that this also depends on the air pressure which needs to be checked regularly to improve durability.
Some of the best boat trailer tires sellers and manufacturers offer helpful customer service. Many can be reached by phone, especially if something is wrong with the tires. Before purchasing tires, users should check the feedback the seller has in case there’s something wrong with the tires. Since they are usually covered by a 1-year warranty, tires should have no issues during this period.
Furthermore, there’s always room to prolong tire life beyond this point. Taking a look at maximum load, tire wear, staying clear of driving over rocks or storing the tires properly when not in use are all measures that prolong the life of a tire. But simply keeping an eye on the tire pressure from time to time is the simplest method of ensuring the best durability.
Also Read: Best Marine Binoculars – Perfect Buying Guide
I’m sure you can find at least one possible best boat trailer tires from my examples above. It’s always worth checking tire description before making a purchase but I wanted to go a bit further. All of these tires have their strengths and weaknesses. However, if you’re anything like me, you might be traveling out of state to reach your favorite lake or river. In this case, having the best trailer tire is crucial. A car mechanic also told me once that a spare can go a long way as well.
I wasn’t sure if I needed any at that time. After a headache with a puncture, I changed my mind. A simple puncture repair kit would not work for me in case it happened somewhere remote during the night. This is why my advice for you is to always buy one more tire with an included rim just in case. You never know when you might need it. With the options listed above, this shouldn’t cost too much either.
Gary Roe says
Roadstar B78-13 Trailer Tires is already mounted on rims, making it cheaper than buying tires alone. Ease of assembly is one thing I love about these tires. Even for beginners, installing the tires is a breeze. They are ready to use out of the box. It is already mounted on the rim and the tire is readily inflated. This affordable trailer tire has a powder-coated steel rim and 6-ply construction. It is ideal for small to medium-sized boats like my boat.