The boonie hat is considered to have been inspired by the Australian bush hat. The Australian bush hat is also known as a giggle hat or slouch hat. Worn by Austrian skirmishers, the slouch hat was introduced in Australian sometime around 1885.
The bush hat was introduced to the American military during the Vietnam War and was adapted into the boonie hat that has been used by the US military since. The best boonie hat or bush hat was made popular for outdoorsmen during the 1980s when Crocodile Dundee sported one in the Australian outback.
The boonie hat is a floppy, wide-brimmed hat that protects the wearer from the hot sun, rain, and wind while working (or fishing) outdoors. The military version of the boonie hat usually has band of branch loops around the crown of the hat. We often call it a foliage ring. Military personnel use it to hold vegetation used as camouflage during combat.
Table of Contents
- Comparisons of 10 Best Boonie Hats in 2022
- Top 10 Best Boonie Hat Reviews in 2022
- 1. Columbia Unisex Bora Bora Booney Hat
- 2. Dorfman Pacific Men’s Outback Hat
- 3. LETHMIK Fishing Sun Boonie Hat
- 4. Tough Headwear Boonie Sun Hat
- 5. Gloryfire Tactical Boonie Hat
- 6. Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero
- 7. TRU-SPEC Multicam Boonie Hat
- 8. Tekma Sport Best Boonie Hat
- 9. Rothco Best Boonie Hat for Fishing
- 10. E-Flag The Go-to Boonie Hat
- Tips for Protecting Yourself From the Sun
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparisons of 10 Best Boonie Hats in 2022
|Columbia Bora Bora Booney Hat||
|Dorfman-Pacific Men’s Hat||
|LETHMIK Fishing Sun Boonie Hat||
|Tough Headwear Boonie Sun Hat||
|GLORYFIRE Boonie Hat||
|Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero||
|TRU-SPEC Multicam Boonie Hat||
|Tekma Sport Boonie Hat||
|Rothco Boonie Hat||
|E-Flag Boonie Hat||
Top 10 Best Boonie Hat Reviews in 2022
1. Columbia Unisex Bora Bora Booney Hat
When you spend a lot of time outdoors, one thing you expect is changes in the weather. You may be sitting on your boat with beautiful sunny skies and five minutes later, a rain storm has blown out of the west.
If you are already wearing the Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney II Sun Hat to protect your face from the sun, you are prepared with one of the best waterproof boonie hats available. The Booney II is made from 100% textured nylon poplin for the most in water resistance.
An avid fisherman knows that fish sometimes become more active when the rain is hitting the water. With 98% of the suns rays, this textured nylon hat is designed to let you keep pulling in the fish while the conditions are right.
- Omni-Wick sweatband keeps the sweat from running down your face
- Mesh vents provide breathability that keeps you head cool
- Adjustable drawcord allow you to adjust the hat to fit your head
- Adjustable chin strap keeps your boonie hat in place on windy days
- Hat is designed to dry quickly if it gets wet
- Brim is extremely floppy and takes on its own shape
2. Dorfman Pacific Men’s Outback Hat
One of the best hot weather boonie hats is the Dorfman-Pacific Weathered Cotton Outback Hat. Made from a 52% cotton/48% polyester blend, this Dorfman-Pacific boonie hat is designed especially for hot weather.
It features a brow band and lining inside the hat that absorbs sweat while the wide brim provides 360-degree protection from the sun. Dorfman-Pacific was founded in 1921 and for over 95 years has been one of the world’s largest retailers of quality headwear.
The company works hard to their impact on the environment. Some of their projects include a line of organic hats made from completely natural products, using Catalogs rather than paper catalogs, using solar to power their distribution centers, and using a waterless restroom system.
- 7-inch brim provides coverage for your neck, ears, and face for maximum protection
- Adjustable chin strap for stability
- Shapeable brim allows you to create your own style
- Weathered material that makes this boonie hat look rugged and broken-in
- UPF rating of 50+
- The hat sizes run large, so you may need to order a size below your normal hat size
3. LETHMIK Fishing Sun Boonie Hat
A Boonie hat’s first and foremost function is to protect the wearer from the sun’s scorching rays. Unless your hat has a wide enough brim, your face and neck would be burned while you’re outdoors. In this aspect, this LETHMIK hat is excellent; it has a wide brim that offers ample shade.
Made from high-quality polyester, this Boonie hat features a wide brim for the most protection from the sun. The brim is also adjustable and allows you to wear the sides up, one side up, whatever style most fits your needs – or makes the fashion statement you want to make!
The hat just looks very elegant in design and color. The fact that you can fold up the brim with classy brass buttons also makes it look snappy. It’s not suitable for machine washing, but it dries quickly anyway, so you don’t need to worry too much.
- Unisex so it can be worn by men or women
- Hold its shape well
- Breathable material in the lining
- Adjustable chin strap
- Materials seem somewhat cheap and flimsy
4. Tough Headwear Boonie Sun Hat
Hiking can expose you to all sorts of weather conditions – blazing sun, rain, bugs. Therefore quality headwear can be just as important as quality foot wear when it comes to spending long hours exposed to the elements. One of the best boonie hats for hiking is the Boonie Safari Sun Hat.
Boonie Safari Sun Hat is made out of nylon. Since it’s made from 100% cotton, the Boonie Safari Sun Hat provide the ultimate in comfort and protection. This sun hat will keep your head and face protected from the sun and heat. Also, it is adjustable drawstring ensures your hat stays on your noggin.
- Adjustable sizing strap allows you to adjust the hat to fit
- It doesn’t have ventilation holes.
- the hat is made out of nylon.
- 100% cotton for comfort and protection from UV rays
- The brim is a little too floppy for some consumers
Also Read: Best Swim Bag – for Your Style and Needs
5. Gloryfire Tactical Boonie Hat
The top of your head is very sensitive as there are many nerve endings. Also, hair is the only thing that’s protecting such a fragile spot. In fact, a lot of individuals don’t even have a lot of hair on top, especially some man that are almost bald.
Therefore it is important to either wear a cap or a bonnie hat in the summer. This way you can avoid overheating. Sometimes, that can be accompanied by very unpleasant symptoms such as feeling nauseous, having a headache and in some severe cases even having a high fever. All that is a clear sign that your body is overheated and you need to cool down immediately.
This bonnie hat is made from 100% cotton material that has been reported to be very soft and easy foldable that’s why you can carry it in your backpack. Moreover customers can choose from three different colors ranging from black to completely white and this hat comes with adjustable chin drawstrings that will prevent the hat from falling from your head during windy weather. Lastly the top of the head has a very comfortable pocket that you can use to carry things such as map.
- Made from 100% cotton material
- Available in 3 different colors
- Can be folded so as to carry in backpack
- Drawstrings can be used to keep the head from falling
- Machine washable
- Not safe for the dryer
- No warranty
6. Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero
There are several features that make the Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Hat the best boonie hat for fishing. Made with 100% nylon with GORE-TEX fabric, this boonie hat will protects you from the sun and the rain.
You never know what the weather will do from one moment to the next – and the Seattle Sombrero will take care of you. Outdoor Research was founded in 1980 by a physicist who was an avid mountain climber. On a climb, his partner suffered extreme frostbite because the snow seeped between the boots and the gaiters.
Once they reached safety, Ron Gregg decided to research to find a solution to these poorly designed gaiters so that he and other mountaineers would not find themselves in that situation. The result was an insulated gaiter that was versatile enough to be worn with many brands of boots. Since 1981, Outdoor Research has been providing innovative, quality outerwear for outdoorsmen/women with a variety of interests.
- Winner of Backpacker Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Gold Award in 2005
- Includes a removable, adjustable, and lockable chin strap
- Brim is designed to direct water away from the face – even in a downpour
- Hook/loop tabs are located on the dome and the brim to keep your fishing lures close at hand
- Nylon outside and polyester inside make this boonie hat breathable and waterproof
- There are no ventilation panels or eyeholes
7. TRU-SPEC Multicam Boonie Hat
This Boonie hat is made 100% from cotton, so you can rest assured that it is entirely breathable and will not cause any irritation on your skin. Since it hasn’t got any synthetic material in the fabric, make sure you pick the right size for your head.
This one is medium (7 ¼ inches) that tends to fit ordinary people. The cotton material also makes this hat comfortable to wear even in the terrible heat. It’s also flexible enough that you can just tuck it into a pocket and go.
While you’re wearing it, don’t forget to use the soft drawstrings that keep the hat secure in position. This hat is equipped with a coyote strap and MOLLE ring, and so it’s recommended that you carefully wash it by hand. It’s best to soak it in soapy water and then rinse it under running water to ensure that it keeps its shape.
- Breathable material
- Light and easy to keep clean
- Equipped with Multicam accessories
- Not machine washable
- Available in one size and color only
8. Tekma Sport Best Boonie Hat
The UPF rating is one of the most important aspects of choosing a boonie hat. Spending hours outdoors can cause damage to your skin and hair. With a UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) of 50+, the Tekma Sport Boonie Hat is one of the best UPF boonie hats on the market.
Lightweight and breathable, the Sport Boonie Hat is designed to keep your head cool and comfortable in the most extreme temperatures. The Sport Boonie is flexible.
That means you can fold and carry it in your pocket when not needed. Additionally, the hat maintains its shape so you can simply remove from your pocket and place back on your head when you need it again. The camouflage colors make this an ideal hat for hunting, hiking, or any other adventure that requires you to fit into the environment.
- Wide, full brim provides the ultimate protection for your face, ears, and neck
- Breathability keeps your head cool even in the hottest temperatures
- Includes snaps on each side for folding the brim
- Includes foliage rings for additional camouflage for hunters
- Three colors to choose from – classic navy, desert camouflage, and woodland camouflage
- The hat body is not adjustable
9. Rothco Best Boonie Hat for Fishing
The best boonie hat was first introduced to America by the military during the Vietnam War. It soon became one of the go-to hats for outdoor sports – hunting, fishing, hiking, spending the day at the beach.
As we have become more aware of the dangers of ultraviolet rays, it has become more important to protect ourselves from those rays. The face, neck, and ears are the most sensitive to the sun. Thus, we should add the extra protection of a hat for long days in the sun.
If you are searching for one of the best military boonie hats, the Rothco Boonie Hat should be one of your considerations. This boonie hat is made to government military specifications. Consequently, this resulted in a product that provides a close imitation of the military-style boonie hat.
- Cotton/Polyester Blend provides extreme protection from the sun
- Features 4 vent holes for breathability that helps keep your head cool in the hottest conditions
- Adjustable chin strap allows you to secure your hat, so you do not have to constantly reach up and adjust it
- Includes branch loops for more camouflage capabilities (or to hold fishing lures)
- You can collapse the hat and store it in a pocket conveniently
- Hat fits tightly, so you may need to order a size larger than normal
10. E-Flag The Go-to Boonie Hat
The Boonie Hat by E-Flag is one of the best summer hunting boonie hats. Completely crushable for travel, the E-Flag boonie hat pops back into shape when you are ready to wear it. Made of 100% cotton, this camouflage boonie hat is the perfect accompaniment while walking through the woods to get to your favorite hunting spot.
You never know what you might encounter when hunting during the summer – summer storms, blazing sun, flying bugs. The E-Flag boonie hat will provide protection from all the elements. However, remember to read up and follow your state’s hunting regulations and always think “Safety First”.
- UPF 50+
- Side holes for ventilation
- Wide brim protects face, ears, and neck from the sun and rain
- Available in 12 colors
- Easily convert from boonie hat to cowboy style boonie hat by putting the sides up
- Only comes in 1 size – fits hat size 7 to 7 3/8
Tips for Protecting Yourself From the Sun
It only takes 15 minutes for ultraviolet rays to damage your skin.
- Sunscreen – Even on cloudy days, you should cover any exposed skin with sunscreen. Ultraviolet rays can reach your skin even through the cloud coverage. Sunscreen should have at least a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 15 or more. The higher the SPF rating, the better the protection. Always read the manufacturer’s recommendations for re-applying sunscreen throughout the day. Remember, never leave your skin unprotected.
- Sunglasses – Your eyes are one of the most tender parts of your body. When you are outside you should religiously wear prime quality sunglasses. This will protect your eyes from the damage that can be caused by sun exposure. If you do not protect your eyes from UV rays, your chances of developing cataracts increase. The best sunglasses for eye protection block UVB (Ultraviolet B are short-wave solar rays) and UVA (Ultraviolet A are long-wave solar rays).
- Shade – If you are going to be exposed to the sun for extended periods of time, find shade (umbrella or tree) for relief from the sun throughout the day.
- Clothing – Check the SPF rating for the apparel you plan to wear when you are outdoors. Also, choose clothing that offers the most protection from UV rays.
- Hat – Hats offer the best protection for your face, neck, and ears (areas that can be extremely sensitive to sun exposure). For outdoor activities and sports, finding the best boonie hat will ensure you are protected from the sun, rain, and wind.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What Is a Boonie Hat Used for?
A: Fishermen use a Boonie or Booney hat to protect their head and face from the elements. It became popular because of its use by the US military in the Vietnam war.
Q: How Should a Boonie Hat Fit?
A: When you buy a Boonie hat, it should be a little loose and hang over your ears. With use, it will get wet and dry often. Consequently, it will shrink. So you shouldn’t buy one that fits perfectly right away.
Q: How Do You Stiffen a Floppy Hat?
A: Boonie hats should have a stiff brim, but with use, they might get floppy. To make it stiff again, spray some starch solution on it and then apply an iron.
Also Read: Best Tanning Oil – Top Option in the Market
Hats can be fashionable and functional. Boonie hats are the perfect example. This is not only a hiking hat for hot weather. Moreover, it is extremely important for outdoorsmen/women to have the most protection possible from the elements. Nothing is worse that coming home from an enjoyable day of fishing with a sunburnt face that keeps you awake all night.