Picture this, I am on the boat chasing largemouth bass in Wisconsin a few weeks ago. It is a nice day outside, plenty of sun and warm. I am fishing some heavy cover with a plastic Senko worm and hook up with a good fish, easily my biggest of the week. As I land the fish and measure her on the boat mounted tape measure, I am digging through all of the compartments and for the life of me, cannot find a scale.
This fish was an absolute monster and now I have no way of recording the catch and no exact weight? That almost ruined my day. Luckily, there was another boat nearby that witnessed by fishing heroics and they swung by and let me borrow their scale and took a photo of the fish for me. I was very lucky that day, but never again will I be that person who does not have a scale with me.
Having a reliable and accurate fishing scale is of the utmost importance for tournament fishermen and novice fishermen alike. When it comes to the tournament side of things, weighing your fish and knowing exactly which 5 fish to bring the weigh is the most important part of the day, this is literally the difference between winning and losing.
When it comes to the novice fishermen, having fun catching fish is the most important part but being able to have some friendly competition within your friend group is always fun. In addition, almost all the fish scales you are about the read about can be used in multiple ways. Luggage scales are expensive and let’s be honest, how often are you traveling to justify spending the money. Just use your fishing scale!
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Fish Scales in 2022
- Top 10 Best Fish Scale Reviews in 2022
- 1. Dr.meter Backlit Fishing Scale
- 2. Entsport Fish Lip Gripper Fish Scales
- 3. HEETA Digital Portable Fish Scale
- 4. KastKing Waterproof Fishing Scale
- 5. MANGO SPOT Digital Hanging Scale
- 6. ReelSonar Digital Fish Scale
- 7. Berkley Digital Fish Scale
- 8. Rapala Touch Screen Tourney Scale
- 9. BogaGrip Weighing Fishing Scale
- 10. Yogayet Portable Fishing Scale
- How to Select Your Fishing Scale
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Fish Scales in 2022
|Dr.meter Fishing Scale||
|Entsport Fish Lip Gripper Fish Scales||
|HEETA Fish Scale||
|KastKing MadBite Fishing Scale||
|MANGO SPOT Fishing Scale||
|ReelSonar Fish Scale||
|Berkley Digital Fish Scale||
|Rapala Tourney Scale||
|Boga Grip Weighing Fishing Scale||
|Yogayet Fishing Scale||
Top 10 Best Fish Scale Reviews in 2022
1. Dr.meter Backlit Fishing Scale
With the ability to calculate weights up to 110 lbs (50 kg,) Dr. Meter PS01 is popular with avid fishermen and beginners alike. Featuring a bright blue background and crisp numbers on an LED screen, the PS01 can measure in both metric and imperial styles making it accommodate whichever preference you have.
It can also go from pound to ounce to kilogram with the push of a button. Wit The PS01 has a large stainless-steel hook that you can hook up to the fish through the gill plate or the mouth of the fish along with a convenient auto-off feature. Both things are important with a fish scale.
The stainless-steel hook helps make the weighing process quick, keeping the fish out of the water as little as possible. The auto-off feature is extremely helpful to elongate battery life of the scale as well. Another nice feature is the built-in measuring tape. You’re able to measure all the way up to a meter in length.
- The built-in measuring tape is extremely convenient.
- The auto-off saves battery life.
- 110 lb maximum can weigh even the biggest game fish.
- The handle felt small in my hand.
- It can be difficult to read in the sun.
2. Entsport Fish Lip Gripper Fish Scales
The Entsport Fish Lip Gripper is not like the previous scale we reviewed above. This all stainless-steel constructed hand scale does not include a digital display but rather a vertical measuring tape that calculates the wait being pulled down.
It can measure up to 40 lbs. and features a non-slip EVA handle and wrist strap making it easy to hold onto while trying to place the locking jaw onto the fish’s mouth. The locking jaw is designed to be extra wide with the Entsport Fish Lip Gripper and that makes it easier get around the lip of the fish.
Another nice thing about this best fish scale is that it is extremely light and easy to pack or carry around. It weights about a half pound and when the scale is fully pulled down, it measures less than a foot in total length. Speaking of measurements, the Entsport features a built-in tape measure, making it convenient to weight and measure the fish.
- The weight and EVA handle make it one of the easier fish scales to operate.
- The wide locking jaw lip gripper makes it super easy to quickly attach the fish.
- This design is super simple but so effective.
- When encountering saltwater, if it isn’t cleaned perfectly, it does begin to stick after a few uses.
3. HEETA Digital Portable Fish Scale
You’re trying to measure a hefty fish, and if the scale you’re using is also heavy, then you wouldn’t be able to cope. This is why I’d recommend this HEETA fish scale, which is only 8.3 ounces in weight. Aside from being lightweight, this scale is also easy to grip as the plastic handle is extra wide.
Even without gloves, you’ll be able to hold the scale comfortably. However, the feature of this scale that strikes me the most is the dismountable nylon strap. You can wrap whatever you want with this strap and then weigh it without causing any damage to the goods.
Other features that endear this fish scale to the users are the backlit LCD display, Tare function, and data locking function. It is powered by 2 AAA batteries, which is very convenient. It also comes with a built-in measuring tape.
- Backlit LCD display
- Powered by AAA batteries
- Comes with a dismountable nylon strap
- Extra-wide soft plastic handle
- The measuring tape is cheaply built
4. KastKing Waterproof Fishing Scale
I maintain that any digital device that has to do with fishing should be waterproof, and that also goes for fishing scales. Fear not! Because not only is this KastKing MadBite fishing scale waterproof, it is also floatable!
Say goodbye to losing your fishing scale in a lake! This fishing scale is built so that it wouldn’t slip from your hands even when the fish is thrashing around. The sides of this scale are non-slip and made with TPR.
And even if it does drop, it’s just going to float, and you’ll only have to fish it out and put it back to work. Another exceptional feature on this fishing scale is the no-puncture lip gripper. You can now weigh a fish without injuring its mouth so much that it’s a shredded mess.
This feature is also suitable for keeping the fish alive. The digital features on this scale are also pretty cool. You can store up to 9 weights in the memory if you ever need to refer to it. There’s also a weight reset switch, an on/off switch, and a large screen. The scale runs on a Cr2032 battery.
- No puncture lip gripper clamp included with the scale
- LED light for low light conditions
- Waterproof and floating
- TPR non-slip sides
- The memory function stores up to 9 weights
- 360 degrees swivel on the stainless steel hook
- Instead of a Cr2032 battery, it could’ve used something more common
5. MANGO SPOT Digital Hanging Scale
Featuring a memory function, the Mango Spot digital fish scale is a unique option for fishermen to carry onto the boat or the shore. You can set this fish scale up to remember your heaviest fish and it is also one of the most portable fish scales that I’ll review today.
Weighing less than 6 ounces, you can put the Mango Spot into your pocket and barely know it’s there. Attaching this digital best fish scale to the actual fish is super simple as well. Boasting a stainless-steel hook, you can put the fish through the gill or the lip.
It has a maximum weight readout of 110 pounds which is more than enough for most fishermen out there. In addition to those features, it also can change from pound to ounce to kilograms and finally, to Jin. This Mango Spot runs off 2, AAA batteries and has an auto-off function after 120 seconds of no use.
- This is extremely portable and was super convenient to pack or carry around.
- Printed on the bottom of the scale is a conversion chart if you do not want to change the weight setting.
- The metal handle is not the most comfortable handle to hold larger weight.
6. ReelSonar Digital Fish Scale
One of the best values I’ve come across when looking for the best handheld fish scale is the ReelSonar Digital Fish Scale. This sleek looking design comes with several features that tournament anglers and beginners will enjoy. The LCD screen is backlit and is easy to read in darkness or extremely bright conditions.
The battery powered fish scale lasts up to 500 hours thanks to the auto shutoff feature. In addition to the built-in 39-inch measuring tape, the ReelSonar also lets you choose how you want to attach the fish to the scale.
Included with the fish scale is a stainless-steel hook and an easy lockdown clamp that releases even easier thanks to the spring-loaded release button. This is nice when fishing tournaments because many do not allow hooks to be used to attach the fish.
- The choice between a hook and clamp for fish attachment is a great feature.
- It has a 99-pound maximum weight which is ideal for all types of fishing.
- The screen does not read as crisp and clear as the other scales with LED/LCD screens we have reviewed thus far.
7. Berkley Digital Fish Scale
Berkley is welcome back into our buying guide with its basic model digital fish scale, the BTDFS50-1. The water-resistant fish scale has a maximum weighing range of 50 pounds and uses two simple buttons to capture your fish weights.
While the fish is on the scale, just quickly hit the weigh button and it will spit out an accurate weight in a matter of seconds. The other button is there to change between ounces, pounds and kilogram readings and zeros the scale.
The BTDFS50-1 comes with a basic steel hook for fish attachment and a large handle making it easy to hold onto the scale when holding the fish up to capture the weight. The battery life is extremely long with this fish scale and features an auto-shutoff function to save battery life. To track your catches, this best fish scale automatically memorizes your most recent 10 fish weights.
- The 10 fish automatic memory is nice as you do not need to do anything extra to record.
- The handle was comfortable and ergonomic.
- The steel hook for attaching the fish is weaker than any we’ve reviewed so far.
- Changing the batteries was a pain.
8. Rapala Touch Screen Tourney Scale
Rapala is one of the most famous companies in all the fishing industry and this scale is in line with their evolutionary fishing past. Designed to be used while fishing in tournaments, this fish scale tracks your 8 most recent catches, making it easy to determine whether the fish you’re weighing is a keeper.
Another unique feature of this best fish scale is that it includes two different ways to attach the fish to the scale. It has a stainless-steel hook and a clamp style locking jaw, whichever you prefer. The Rapala touchscreen also can go from a backlit display to an ambient display depending on the weather you’re in.
Additionally, the construction is 100% waterproof for rainy days or that dreaded time when you drop it in the lake. The maximum weight is 15 pounds on this digital fish scale, which is on the lower end, but it was designed for tournament fishing bass, where 15-pound fish are extremely rare.
- The feature that tracks your 8 most recent catch weights is amazing. It helps culling smaller fish in a huge way.
- Having the option to clamp or hook the fish up to the scale is nice.
- The screen display is extremely busy and can be too much at times.
- The clip that is there to attach the fish feels flimsy and I could see it breaking.
9. BogaGrip Weighing Fishing Scale
There is a an old saying that simpler is better. With the Eastboga fish scale, you get simplicity and performance rolled into one. Coming in two different sizes, you can choose whether you want a 15- or 30-pound weight maximum.
This scale does not have an LED Screen like some others we have reviewed but rather a vertical tape measure that reads vertically and stops at the correct increment based on the weight being pulled down. Instead of the typical stainless-steel hook that many fish scales come with, the Eastboga fish scale uses a locking jaw style lip gripper.
The lip gripper on this fish scale seemed to hook up quickly and stronger than most I have used in my career, that fish isn’t going anywhere once you get it attached. One thing I want to mention is that there is no assembly or batteries required with this, making it functional no matter what.
- The simple design is effective and there are no batteries to rely on, which I enjoyed.
- The weight was spot on right out of the box, very little effort needed.
- The maximum weights of 15 and 30 pounds are too low if fishing on saltwater.
Also Read: Best Fishing Gloves – Top Reviews to Buy
10. Yogayet Portable Fishing Scale
A simple but effective fish scale, the Yogayet hanging hook multi-purpose scale is the first fish scale we’ve reviewed today that is an analog scale. A gripped handle at the top of the scale makes it easy to hold up the scale once the fish is attached to the heavy-duty stainless-steel hook.
The analog design looks like an old-school body scale with its circular design that move the need around 360 degrees, the further around the wheel that the needle goes, the heavier the fish.
Maxing out at 50 pounds, this best fish scale has plenty of weight range for almost all freshwater species and most out there in the saltwater. The Yogayet also has a built-in tape measure that retracts from the base of the scale and has a max length of 1 meter.
- The handle was very comfortable to hold.
- It is quick and efficient, requiring no batteries.
- Making the scale calibrate back to 0 was difficult after a few uses.
- The needle tends to bounce around and is slightly bigger than the smallest marks on the scale.
How to Select Your Fishing Scale
Like most items that we buy as consumers, selecting the best fish scale for you comes down to a few simple questions. First off, you should ask yourself what your main uses for it are. If you are a weekend fisherman that wants to enjoy your time on the water and occasionally hook into the big one, something simple and reliable will do the trick for you.
You do not need a tournament scale that calculates which fish should be thrown back or something expensive. A solidly built, light and accurate scale is all you will need to make yourself happy. On the other end of the spectrum, let’s say you’re like me and fish competitively and need to make sure that I know my exact weight always of the day.
Well, then it is extremely important to be able to capture and have a weight memory functionality in your fish scale. If you’re late in a tournament and you catch a fish that is right on the bubble of being a keeper or not, you’ll need to know the most accurate weight reading available while at the same time, being able to know if this fish is going to add to your day’s total weight.
The 2nd question you must ask yourself is where you’ll be taking this fish scale. If you’re a shore fisherman and must carry around your gear from location to location, you will not want something that is big and bulky. You’d need to have a light, easily packable scale in this situation. Something that can be carried safely around in your backpack, tackle box or pocket.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Where to Put the Scale When Weighing a Fish?
A: To weigh a fish, just place the scale weight hook underneath the fish’s gill plate. If it is connected to the fish’s lip, you have the choice of hanging the hook from the lure. You will need to make sure that you lift it entirely off the ground when measuring the fish to achieve accurate weight measurement.
Q: How Do You Use Digital Fishing Scales?
A: Digital scales are the way to go for those who want a quick and precise reading. With a simple 2 or 3 button design, many digital scales are simple to use to turn your scales on whenever you need them, off when you’re done, translate units to your choice (lbs. or kilos), and reset prepared for another weigh-in.
There are a lot of options out there for determining the best fish scale. The truth is, there is not a single best fish scale available. All that matters is what is best for you and I hope this article helped you decide which direction to go.